modular data center is expected to respond to the changes toward cloud computing, virtualization, centralization and high intensity of servers,
increase the operational efficiency of the data center, reduce energy consumption and realize rapid capacity expansion and avoid mutual interference.
Fast deployment: prefabricated factory parts and fast field assembly so that the deployment period is reduced to 8 to 12 weeks and the construction period is shortened by over 50%; lower site restrictions; can support installation of cement flooring and antistatic elevated flooring; a minimum clearance of only 2.8m is required.
Green and energy efficiency: enclosed cold/heat passage technology is adopted to avoid mixing of cold/hot air flows and substantially reduce energy consumptions. Inter-rack air-conditioners are adopted to realize near-end refrigeration and substantially increase refrigerating efficiency in a high-density scene. Compared with the conventional data center, energy consumptions are reduced by 30% to 50% and PUE can be as low as 1.4 at the minimum.
Flexible expansion: modular parts and uniform interface standards are adopted to realize capacity expansion on the basis of rack or module as necessary and hence save investments. Smooth upgrading at a rated power density of 1kw to 21kw is supported for a single cabinet.
Smart management: the management system supports the industry-standard Modbus, SNMP and background communication protocol and can realize the total-domain uniform monitoring of the power, environment, video and access of the basic infrastructures of the data center; alarm management, statement management, work order management and efficiency management are integrated to realize all-around smart management; standard northern interface is provided; support mainstream L2 network administration fast integration; provide external interfaces of various standards for interfacing with third-party systems.
1. Earthing and antistatic
- Micro-module earthing system satisfies the requirements on personal safety and normal operation of the equipment.
- Metal conductors, including the micro-module cabinet, HVDC, battery cabinet, air-conditioner and precision distribution cabinet, must be equipotentially connected. Each cabinet shall have two connecting conductors of different length for connection to the equipotential connection grid (below flooring).
- The conductive metal casings of all equipment in the micro-modules, various types of metal pipes, metal structures of buildings and others shall be equipotentially connected. There shall be no isolated conductor that is insulated from the ground.
- The micro-module is connected to the basic earthing electrode via 25mm2 copper wires.
- The module frame is made of assembled aluminum alloys and has at least four earthing points. It can be connected to the earthing grid of the machine room.
2. Cabinet system
- Elegantly-designed Inspur cabinets are adopted and their technical requirements are as follows:
- Server cabinets made of quality cold-rolled steel plates are adopted in a size of 600 (W) x 1200 (D) x 2100 (H) (unit: mm); the working space is 42U.
- Front and rear cabinet doors have a mesh design. The mesh holes have a hexagonal design and the through holes account for 75% of the total area for the convenience of ventilation and heat radiation. It can satisfy the radiating needs of new-type servers with a high heat intensity.
- The cabinet has a dynamic loading capacity of 1,000kg and a static loading capacity of 1,300kg which can be further increased to 1,500kg. The castor-mounted cabinet is lower than 2m for the convenience of transport as a whole.
- Single-point lock that locks reliably and opens lightly without noise is adopted for the front door. The lock core turns flexibly without clogging and both the left and the right-handed opening habits are satisfied.
- Connecting-rod-type three-point lock is adopted for the door-leaf rear door. It has a simple structure, locks reliably and opens lightly without noise. The lock core turns flexibly without clogging and both the left and the right-handed opening habits are satisfied.
- The front and rear mesh doors are made of 1.5mm-thick cold-rolled steel plates; column material: 2.0mm-thick cold-rolled steel plates; frame material: 1.5mm-thick cold-rolled steel plates.
- Each cabinet is configured with two PDU power strips which are vertically installed and do not occupy U spaces.
3. Enclosed cold passage system
In order to reduce energy consumptions of the data center and increase the cooling efficiency of air-conditioners, an enclosed cold passage design is adopted for the modular data center. The design is as follows:
- Enclosed cold-passage product comprises the terminal door, skylight, passage sealing members and monitoring attachments.
- The door leaf assembly comprises dual push-open doors. The mainframe material is quality cold-rolled steel plate that conforms to GB11253 and is powder-coated on the surface. The door leaves have a tempered glass window and the tempered glass conforms to 3C certification requirements and GB15764.2 in a thickness of not lower than 4mm.
- Two types of skylights, including fixed and flip-open ones, are designed and entry of firefighting gases into the passage is supported. The skylight is made of large-area transparent acrylic (PMMA) boards with a light transmissivity of at least 90%. The lighting of machine room can be fully utilized. The acrylic boards conform to GB/T7134 with a flame retardance of at least UL94-HB;
- Flip-open skylight shall operate jointly with the monitoring system (e.g. fire alarm signal, temperature and humidity alarm signal, camera, etc). In case of any fire alarm, the flip-open skylight shall flip open. The flip-open skylight is made of transparent acrylic materials and looks simplistic and beautiful.
- Other parts include baffle plates at the bottom, LED lighting strips, temperature and humidity sensors, acoustic and light alarms, cameras, etc. These attachments are directly mounted in the enclosed cold passage and play a role of sealing, lighting and monitoring.
- The passage is designed with an LED auxiliary lighting system to ensure an illumination of at least 500LUX. Auxiliary lighting system is manually turned on.
- A monitoring unit is designed to monitor the temperature, humidity, smoke and other environmental conditions in the passage. Other than monitoring the cold passage environment, it can also be connected to third-party alarm signals and operate jointly with the operable top-panel control box.
4. Air-conditioning system design
Inter-rack air-conditioner is a new type of machine room air-conditioner developed for high-capacity servers. It is characterized by horizontal air feeding mode and overcomes the defects of conventional precision air-conditioners, i.e. insufficient cold, dehumidification, energy inefficiency and frequent hot spots arising from air feeding. It has such advantages as automatic variable-capacity operation, high return air temperature, short air stroke, operation in full heat display, high heat conversion efficiency and effective prevention of hot spots.
5. Fire protection system
The module comprises one full set of monitoring system. When multiple modules are combined and deposited in the same machine room, they can share one set of monitoring software and platform.
The centralized monitoring system of the data center machine room comprises the following subsystems: power distribution monitoring subsystem, generator monitoring subsystem, UPS monitoring subsystem, ordinary air-conditioner monitoring subsystem, precision air-conditioner monitoring subsystem, water leakage detection subsystem, temperature and humidity monitoring subsystem, door magnet subsystem, access control subsystem, video monitoring subsystem, fire monitoring subsystem, infrared monitoring subsystem, DC power source subsystem, etc. Various subsystems are interconnected via an RS485 bus and network communication to form a smart centralized monitoring system of machine room power and environment conditions.
All devices in the machine room can be directly connected to the sever of the monitoring center via several types of communication media (RS485, RS232, SNMP and LANWORKS); the server of the monitoring center performs data capture, calculation and analysis, data storage, alarm activation, alarm processing, logic control and provision of real-time monitoring data services to remote clients. It is possible to perform remote monitoring, data search, data printing and maintenance management through one or several remote client hosts or web browsing.
6. Fire protection system
An independent air bottle room in an area of at least 10sqm shall be established. 3* 70L fire gas bottles shall be configured. Each fire gas bottle is filled with 70KG heptafluoropropane gases.
- FM200 gas-type firefighting system is adopted.
- System control: the system has three starting modes, i.e. automatic control, manual control and forced emergency operation.
- When a fire detector is adopted, the automatic control device of the fire protection system can be started only after receipt of two independent fire signals. A 30-second-long controllable spray delay period shall be available to allow safe evacuation of personnel. Delay-free spray is set in the protected area where there is no operator normally.
- The manual control unit shall be set outside the evacuation exit of the protected area and where it is conveniently operable in the control center. It shall be installed at a height of 1.5m above the ground. Whether the system is in an “automatic” or “manual” state, all system starting or emergency stop operations shall be completed at the same place.
- The forced emergency operating unit shall be installed where conveniently operable in the bottle storage room or at the evacuation exit of the protected area.